EACOA Fellowship Program 2014
The 2014 East Asian Core Observatories Association (EACOA)
(Aug.. 08, 2013) (Close the list)
To promote East Asian regional astronomy research cooperation, the East Asian Core Observatory Association (EACOA) encourages and supports highly qualified young researchers from all over the world to come and conduct joint research activities with colleagues at the EACOA member institutes.
The EACOA Fellowships are research fellowships at the potdoctoral level. EACOA Fellowship grant is awarded to support an individual Fellow's research program. Fellows are expected to work full-time on their research programs, and to be in residence in at least two EACOA member institutions during the period of the Fellowship appointment.
I. Eligibility Requirements
- EACOA Fellowship applicants can be of any nationality, and must have obtained their PhD in Astronomy or equivalent degree in the related fields within the last 5 years from the expected start date of the fellowship.
- The EACOA Fellow must be in residence in at least two EACOA member institutions during his or her fellowship tenure and must spend at least one year at one institute.
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English to prevent difficulties during their research activities at the EACOA institutes.
II. Duration of Fellowships
The EACOA Fellowship is a 3-year appointment, subject to annual review and renewable for an additional 2 years, up to a total of 5-years.
Renewals for the fourth and fifth years will be based on a review of the annual report, but will require demonstration of significant research accomplishments.
Renewal requests will be reviewed by the EACOA Fellowship Program committee and are subject to availability of EACOA funds and approval by the EACOA Directors' Council.
III. Host Institutions
The EACOA Fellows are free to select at least two host institutions from the EACOA member institutions, in which to carry out their research. Also, the EACOA Fellow must spend at least one year at one institute.
IV. Application Procedure
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from the EACOA web site (http://naoj-global.mtk.nao.ac.jp/EACOA-E/fellowship/index.html).
Applications should be submitted by on-line through the on-line submission site:
The EACOA Secretariat Office cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
All application documents must be received by December 15, 2013, at the latest.
V. Application Documents
Please combine all of the following application documents (1-5) - A4 in size in pdf format - into one file and should be submitted through the online submission site:
- All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
- Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
- The EACOA Secretariat Office reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary.
- All documents received will become the property of the EACOA, and will not be returned.
After receiving the application documents, the EACOA Secretariat Office will send an acknowledgement to the applicants. The EACOA Secretariat Office will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents.
- a curriculum vitae
- a brief summary of past research or instrumentation experience
- a future research plan
Applicant should describe this document by oneself. This should include detailed information on the purpose, methodology, content of the research, and the schedule of the project. The research project must be discussed in detail with the host scientist, and the planned content must be consistent with the research facilities at the host institutions.
- Letters of endorsement from the host scientists confirming the research project.
We encourage the intended applicant contact with researchers at the EACOA institutions well in advance to discuss the research plan. Lists of contact addresses of research staff at EACOA Institutes can be obtained at the following URLs.
- The National Astronomical Observatories. Chinese Academy of Sciences (NAOC) http://www.bao.ac.cn/
- Purple Mountain Observatory (PMO) http://www.pmo.cas.cn/
- Shanghai Astronomical Observatory (SHAO) http://www.shao.cas.cn/
- National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) http://www.nao.ac.jp/en/index.html
- Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) http://www.kasi.re.kr/english/
- Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (ASIAA) http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/
This should include full details of the publication: when and where published, co-authors' names (where applicable), size and number of pages, etc. Please indicate in red the title of any publications on the list which the applicant considers them to be his/her most important publication(s).
In addition to the above, applicants are also requested to arrange for three letters of reference to be submitted through the online application system.
VI. Screening & Notification of the Result of Application
- Applications are examined by the Screening Committee of the EACOA on the basis of academic value and the degree or perfection of the research projects.
- The results will be sent directly to the applicants (We expect it before the end of March, 2014 or earlier).
- The EACOA will send a Grant Letter to successful applicants.
- The EACOA does not issue announcements concerning the screening progress, nor will the EACOA respond to inquiries concerning the status of such applications.
- When the decisions of the Screening Committee are announced, the EACOA will neither announce the reasons for the decision nor respond to individual inquiry concerning results.
The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available. Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities at the host institutes. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
- For the year 2014 program, a monthly allowance of equivalent to US$5,000, will be paid as a fellowship award by the EACOA.
- Research funds will be provided by the host institute.
- Relocation expenses (the actual amount depending on the conditions set by the host institute) will be provided by the EACOA.
- Additional support for housing, travel, etc. may be available depending on the conditions set by the host institute.
E-mail Address for Inquiries: